Becoming a Dental Technician

Dental Technicians are regulated and licensed by the College of Dental Technicians of BC. The College's primary purpose is to serve and protect the public by regulating dental technology. The Dental Technicians Association of BC [DTABC] helps you adhere to those regulations in many ways, including offering professional liability insurance and opportunities for continuing education credits which you need in order to practice in BC.

Regulation and Licensing

RDT’s must be registered and licensed with the College of Dental Technicians of British Columbia. RDT’s are required to practice in accordance with the Bylaws of the College, including the Standards of Practice and the Code of Ethics.

How to Become a Dental Technician

There are two ways you can be registered and licensed as a RDT:

  1. A dental technician must be a graduate of an approved education program.

    Below are some of the educational institutions in Canada that provide training in Dental Technology:
  2. Has provided the services equivalent to those of a dental technician for a period of not less than 5 years AND has the knowledge, training and experience that meet the education requirements.

Foreign trained Dental Technicians wanting to work in BC.

  • You must be registered with the College of Dental Technicians of British Columbia. For a list of requirements and the complete registration package please contact the College office at 604 742-6561 or toll free 1 855 742-6561
  • You need to be able to work legally in Canada, and generally will be a Canadian Citizen or landed immigrant.

Employment opportunities in BC

B.C currently has a shortage of skilled Dental Technicians, particularly in the area of crown and bridge, ceramics, and orthodontics. Individuals with an interest in the profession, or with skills in the field, can also work as Assistants while waiting to becoming a Dental Technician. To provide any dental technician service in BC, you must first register with the College. As an Assistant, you will work under the supervision of a Dental Technician.

Source: The College of Dental Technicians of BC